Alberta Votes 2012
Election season is upon us here in Alberta, and as this is my first provincial election as an Albertan, I am paying particular attention to the platforms and candidates. The parties have staked their lawn signs and their members are putting the word out, but it can still be difficult to track messages, policies, and make a final decision come election day on April 23rd.
Here are a few resources I’ve found useful generally, but also specifically for writers and others engaged in the ‘arts economy’ here in the Sunshine Province:
- Vote Compass on the CBC website (please keep in mind it only includes the four biggies – not the Alberta Party, Evergreens, etc)
- Edmonton writer Myrna Kostash’s essay, “Alberta Artists: Who Should You Vote For?”
- The Alberta Party’s recently posted ‘Creative Industries Policy’
- Change Alberta, which gives those who want an alternative to the PCs and Wildrose Party information, strategies and tools
- And for those of you in my home riding of Edmonton-Mill Woods, please check out this recent Edmonton Journal profile of the race and local candidates
Regardless of how you choose to vote, I just hope you’ll take the time to do so. Apparently the turnout at the last provincial election was an abysmal 40%… If you can do it with as much awareness as possible, all the better!