- Kickstarter is launched for kid’s book!For the next two weeks, I’m inviting backers to support my first Kickstarter campaign for my debut chapter book aimed at 7 to 9-year-old readers! To learn more about Fever on the Forgotten Coast, please visit my Kickstarter project page where you’ll find a video, information, and all the fun rewards levels I cooked up. … Read more
- Freddie on CBC Books’ fall list!Such a lovely surprise to see Freddie the Flyer included in CBC’s “45 picture books to check out this fall” alongside fellow Nova Scotia author and illustrator friends Sal Sawler and Jack Wong (not to mention David Suzuki and Robert Munsch)! Can’t wait to check all these out with my daughter!
- Glowing Booklist Review of Freddie!Freddie the Flyer.By Danielle Metcalfe-Chenail and Fred Carmichael. Illus. by Audrea Loreen-WulfOct. 2023. 32p. Tundra, $17.99 USD (9781774880807). Gr. 1–3. 629.13092 The story of an Indigenous boy who dreamed of taking to the sky unfolds across the year in thispicture-book biography that draws on Gwich’in and Inuvialuqtun languages, the power of an unshakeable passion, and, … Read more
- School Library Journal Dialog Day: They Dreamed BigIn exactly one month I get to take part in this amazing day of virtual sessions for librarians and educators being put on by the School Library Journal! And the special guest speaker is the famous Texan actor/director Matthew McConaughey himself. AND there are a ton of other authors and illustrators I love like George … Read more
- Newfoundland Tour 2023!My family and I are just back from a whirlwind trip to Newfoundland. We received some terrific ideas of what to do and see from friends – and we stumbled across a few of our own along the way (isn’t that always the best part of traveling?). I wanted to pass them along in case … Read more
- Freddie the Flyer already taking flight!Fred and I are grateful for the early interest in our book. Last month we did an interview for CBC North and you can listen to that here! A journalist with Canadian Press also did an article on Fred and the book, and it was picked up – and translated – for publication across North … Read more
- Halifax Kids’ Day – November 4, 2023Save the date! I’m so excited to be part of Afterwords Literary Festival in Halifax, Nova Scotia this fall! Come join us on Saturday, November 4, 2023 from 1-4pm at the Halifax Central Library for this FREE event with a dozen children’s book authors from the region and beyond. There will be activities, snacks, storytimes, … Read more
- Pre-Order Info for Freddie the FlyerWith all the wonderful media interest (print! radio! en francais!) in the book, we have been getting orders for copies already – even though it doesn’t come out until late October. You can always pre-order through your favourite online or bricks and mortar stores (like Amazon and Chapters-Indigo). We highly recommend independent bookstores in your … Read more
- Creating, Joining, and Elevating Writing GroupsI went out on a limb this spring and taught a brand new workshop called Creating, Joining, and Elevating Writing Groups and I LOVED it. We’ll probably offer it again through the Writer’s Federation of Nova Scotia, but I would really enjoy sharing it with other organizations as a webinar, virtual workshop, or in-person session … Read more
- Spring/Summer Classes and Summer CampsI just wrapped up a three-session online interactive workshop called Creating, Joining and Elevating Writing Groups for the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia. I’m so glad I got to work with this group of 12 writers from the province! There were novice writers up to multi-published ones, and we’d all had varied levels of experience … Read more
I’m a multi-genre and multi-passionate author, connector and storyteller. I love getting lost in research, travelling, and going on adventures with my little family. It makes it all the sweeter when I’m fireside (or seaside) with a book in my Nova Scotia home.
Read all about it!
Get my news directly to your inbox four times a year. (Psst: sometimes there are prizes!)